To keep your D-Rings and other accessories in good condition, see tips below!
1. Lightly coat any accessory that is being screwed into the SeaMount® with a lightweight oil like WD-40 on the threads. This will prevent galvanic corrosion between dissimilar metals. This is especially important if you are planning on leaving accessories in your board for an extended period of time.
2. It is recommended to remove any accessory and fin hardware often and apply a light coat of oil like WD-40 on them again to make sure that the threads are lubricated. Rine the board, SeaMounts® with freshwater after every use especially after use in salt water.
3. Every metal part on accessories will eventually rust, but by oiling them this should greatly extend the life of the products along with the SeaMounts® themselves.
4. The stainless steel that we use in the SeaMount® is SUS304. What this means is that everything that is screwed into it should theoretically be that grade. Galvanic corrosion shouldn't be happening between different grades of stainless steel, but it is possible. So, if you want to buy a new screw for D-Rings, be sure to know the right grade of stainless steel to get.
5. Better yet, get your accessories from Pau Hana because we use similar metals in all accessories.