Prior to 2017, your D-Rings or other accessories may have rusted. Back then, they had dissimilar metals and so galvanic corrosion occurred quickly being in the saltwater aqueous solution. For D-Rings and all other like accessories in 2018 and beyond, this should not be a problem. To keep your D-Rings in good condition, see tips below!
1. Lightly coat any accessory that is going to go into the SeaMount® with a lightweight oil/WD-40 on the thread to make sure that the threads will continue to work well. This will prevent galvanic corrosion between dissimilar metals. This is especially important if you are planning on leaving accessories in your board for an extended period of time.
2. It is a good practice for people to take out any accessory and very importantly fin screws fairly often and to put on a light coat of oil/WD-40 on them again to make sure that the threads are still working.
3. Every metal part on accessories will eventually rust, but by oiling them this should greatly extend the life of the products along with the SeaMounts® themselves.
4. The stainless steel that we use in the SeaMount® is SUS304. What this means is that everything that is screwed into it should theoretically be that grade. Galvanic corrosion shouldn't be happening between different grades of stainless steel, but it is possible. So, if you want to buy a new screw for D-Rings, be sure to know the right grade of stainless steel to get.
5. Better yet, get your accessories from Pau Hana because we use similar metals in all accessories.